To highlight the reality, the world’s premier strategy consulting firm is McKinsey. Its fees? $180,000 per week to more than $4 million for a six month project!
In 2009 AdAge magazine, which is the leading publication of the advertising industry, revealed that chief creative officers/strategists at top ad agencies billed out at US$964.00 an hour. More recently, UK firm Ridler and Co revealed in its 2016 Research Report that coaching fees for CEOs range from £500-£2,500 per hour. And, according to Salary.com, the median salary and bonus package for a chief strategist/strategic planning executive is US $367,515.
So why do some consultants, strategists and coaches cost so much? Simple. In effect, when you hire them you are purchasing their brains. In other words, their expertise, experience and ideas. This is not something you can buy off the shelf like a chocolate bar. The best consulting brains have top-drawer skills….so will charge accordingly.
When you think about it, the best consultants and coaches aren’t really expensive at all. It’s actually an investment. They can help stop you making dumb, expensive and confidence-shattering mistakes. And they can help solve your problems and achieve your goals faster and easier.
To be fair, there are cheap coaches and consultants you can hire for as little as $40 an hour or $200 per session. But be warned. When you use price as the main criteria when choosing a consultant – with a view to hiring the cheapest around – the cheapest could end up being the most expensive. It’s the age-old adage in action. If you pay peanuts, you’ll get monkeys.
Overview of my fees and services
Here is a brief overview of fees as at March 2017, for my key skills and services outlined below. Fees exclude GST and expenses such as out-of-town travel and accommodation.
Strategist OnCall is my flagship service which gives you access to high-level strategy expertise on an ongoing basis. In fact, it’s just like having you very own chief strategy officer, but at a fraction of the cost.
Strategist OnCall is a one-stop service that provides you with on-going access to powerful analysis and clever ideas in the areas of:
- Business growth strategy
- Product and brand strategy
- Financial and asset growth
- Sales and marketing systems
- Strategic HR (Structure, people, relationships and culture)
- Personal leadership and skill development
Included in Strategist OnCall is access to my strategy toolkit and services which include:
- The Visual Strategy system and tools
- The War Room
- OnePager Strategic and Marketing Plans
- Strategy Sessions
- Strategic MBA workshops
Strategy Sessions is the core service in Strategist OnCall. These are regularly scheduled sessions where we analyze, review, amend your strategy and look to improve overall performance. You can use Strategy Sessions in a variety of ways including:
- Due diligence on a business idea or investment
- Guidance in developing a business strategy or plan
- Formulating a strategic position and marketing strategy
- Analysing and developing brand strategy
- Product development and brainstorming.
- Using me as a sounding board to bounce ideas off
- Getting fresh, independent eyes to look at a problem
Further elements of the service are:
- Analysis and advice in the creation and development of your strategy
- Help with writing your strategic and marketing plans
- Coaching and advice in the areas of strategy, strategic HR and organisation development, high-performance and strategy execution.
- Attendance and input at board or executive meetings, regularly scheduled strategy sessions
- Ongoing coaching and unlimited access by phone, Skype and email for a year.
One of the main advantages with Strategist OnCall is that there is no meter running. That means you can make a call, send an email or have a meeting without being charged extra. It’s all included in the fee. Fees start at $30,000 per year (payable at $2,500 per month), or just $24,000 annually if paid up front.
The War Room – Strategic Review
The War Room Full Strategic Review is a comprehensive strategic review service for you and your leadership team. Less expensive than Strategist OnCall, it analyzes your current strategy and develops a strategic framework and direction for the future using the Strategic Growth Blueprint as the planning model:
The War Room Full Review includes 3 days of consultation which can be structured as 1/2 day or 2-hour sessions. Plus it includes 6 months of follow-up and support by Skype, email or phone. The fee is 6 monthly payments of $3,000 or $15,000 if paid upfront.
Projects is the service option for work required that is of a one-off basis. Typically it is more time intensive and often requires a team effort with other coaches and advisors brought in to help. Types of projects include:
- Redesigning organisational structure and culture
- Overhauling product and target offerings
- Strategic branding/re-branding
- Creating and implementing a corporate wellness programme
Fees for projects start at $10,000.
Strategic MBA – Education and training
Strategic MBA is an education and training service with an emphasis on, “Important stuff they don’t teach enough at business school.” Training topics include visual strategic planning, sales systems development, strategic branding, marketing strategy, relationships and team development. Fees start at $10,500 for 3 half day sessions for up to ten people.
Other services not included above include:
- Keynote speeches and presentations. From $5,000.
- High-level business writing of business/investment case research reports, thought leadership pieces, white papers, speeches and more. From $1,000 per A4 page.
- Navigator, which is a guest lecturing and mentoring service for high school and tertiary students. It is a social-focused service offered to tertiary institutions and high schools at substantially reduced fees.
Please enquire about fees for these services.
So why consider these services?
Firstly, I specialise in strategy, and helping clients to analyze, create and skilfully execute winning strategies is at the core of what I do. Just as importantly, this strategy specialty is powered by design and visual thinking, the most powerful approach to strategy development.
Secondly, you get to deal directly with me – and my brain. There are no poorly qualified consultants looking after you.
Next, my project partners and I have been helping organizations improve for more than 20 years…working across the entire business spectrum from corporates, to government departments and through to small businesses. And we have the gray hair – and accompanying wisdom – to show for it.
We offer a unique range of services and tools you cannot get anywhere else. Take the Visual Strategy System for instance. This is a revolutionary approach to analyzing businesses, creating strategies, and formulating concise strategic and marketing plans…and we’re the only ones who have it.
In addition, we are not a high-volume service with hundreds of clients. Instead, we limit the number of clients we work with and work closely with them on a variety of assignments and projects.
Ultimately, my fee schedule targets only those who are serious about improving performance and acts as a disincentive to those who are either price-driven or not in a financial position to make an investment in their future.
If you have an urgent issue you’d like me to cast my eyes over, please phone (09) 534 9417 or (021) 158 0019. Or email ben at benmbartlett.com.